01 April 2010

Art of Jim Denevan

Recently I was looking through a magazine and saw a photo of Jim Denevan's artwork. His website says that he, " makes temporary drawings on sand
earth and ice that are eventually erased by
waves and weather." I was immediately reminded of other Environmental artists such as Andy Goldsworthy and Robert Smithson. I would absolutely love to see some of Denevan's work in real life. I love discovering new artists since I have been a little our of touch after graduation.
This is an aerial photo of a piece created on sand. Sometimes he will drive a car for the bigger shapes and then when it gets smaller he uses large sticks.

I think these pieces are pretty amazing. Wouldn't you agree?

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I agree!! Wow, thanks for the introduction to Jim Denevan. The artwork you posted was amazing. I am not sure I could stand by and watch it wash away, but at the same te that seems poetic as well.