It's official. We have moved. Team Calder now resides in AZ.
To make us feel at home we had to find a few things to help us settle.
Water -- It is hot!!! It took us a few days to get our pool fob*. One day T and I wanted to go swimming -- but the security guard would not let us in without a key! It is hard to explain this concept to a 2 year old as he cried the whole way home in the 180degree heat of the afternoon. Thankfully, we survived and we have been swimming/to a splash pad often since then.
Asian Market
We're all a little Asian here at team Calder. The hotter the weather, the more WE crave Thai food. Thus we are having Green Papaya Salad tomorrow! This market is very legitimate. You can usually tell by the smell upon entering or the ratio of white people to Asians. Luckily, we were among the minority (PHEW!). And, might I add -- even though I do stick out, I feel like I don't and that I am home among these wonderful Asians. It was nice to get some of the necessities back in our home (fish sauce, plum sauce, and sweet chili sauce -- to name a few).
A substitute for Winco. We are still trying to settle with Fry's. While it is much better than the heathen creating Wal-mart, it does not have bulk food or REALLY great prices. Just inexpensive -- which is better than the Safeway down the street.
It's the Kroger distributing place of AZ. We still miss Winco.
While we have found a few great places--and many more to come in the Nation's 14th largest Metropolitan area (all the way from 50th to the 14th)-- we have yet to find great GELATO. No, not ice cream, but Italian Ice Cream. We're still searching. If anyone has any great tips -- they are welcome. Especially if they are in the East Valley.
More adventures to come...
* = What the heck is a "fob" anyway? Have you ever heard that term? I hadn't -- I guess I am uncultured. In case you have not heard it either, consider this your vocab for the day and become cultured -- like me.
noun /fäb/
fobs, plural
fobs, plural
- A chain attached to a watch for carrying in a waistcoat or waistband pocket
- A small ornament attached to a watch chain
- A small pocket for carrying a watch
- A tab on a key ring




4 comments:
I'm so glad you are feeling a little bit at home. T is so cute and he looks so big to me these days! Is your furniture on a moving truck or something? Also, I hate the fact that we don't live near a Winco anymore- I was spoiled by their prices. And last but not least, how fun that you got to see Justin and Ash, and I love that Justin was wearing socks with his flip flops. :)
So fun (and crazy) that you are in AZ now!! Glad you knew someone to celebrate the fourth with. Good luck in med school guys!!
Utah misses you, but it looks like you're making a nice home in AZ!
Thanks for the fob definition. I'd heard the word before but didn't actually know what it meant! :-)
I had a fob . . . . You are making me miss Arizona!
Post a Comment