11 December 2011

Team Calder joining Team Tucson





I like alliteration, what can I say. I didn't mean to steal "Team" from "Team Calder." That will always be the true team. A team that one can only be added to through birth, marriage or adoption. I guess I could have come up with something more creative at school. But, Team Tucson is kind of catchy, right?


You are probably wondering, "Team Tucson, what is that all about?" Well...we're moving. Yes, moving again --- luckily, not until JUNE 2012. Again, you are probably thinking -- "wait, med school is 4 years. You haven't even finished six months?!?!?! Did you fail out?" The answer -- not yet. Let's hope never. 


Let me introduce you to something,






This is where I go to school. A.T. Still University. I love the palm trees. Back to the point, 1/2 of the top floor (left side of this picture) is where I spend about 90% of my time. Cougar. The name of the classroom makes me feel at home. This is where all 1st year A.T. Still AZ medical students students spend one year in this building then, they are off to accomplish more of the missions of this institution.


What's are the missions of the school? Why didn't you ask sooner?!?!?


" A.T. Still University of Health Sciences serves as a learning-centered university dedicated to preparing highly competent professionals through innovative academic programs with a commitment to continue its osteopathic heritage and focus on whole person healthcare, scholarship, community health, interprofessional education, diversity, and underserved populations." - as quoted from the A.T. Still website.


Did you read it? Okay, I didn't either. But, at the bottom of paragraph it talks about community health, interprofessional education, diversity, and underserved populations. That is a lot to take in, right? So, to broaden my education I will be placed in a Community Health Center (CHC). In this community health center, I will finish my 2nd year of coursework -- just like a traditional medical school curriculum. Most of it, will be through pod-casts and small group discussions. However, I will also rotate through a clinic once a week (mostly with Family Medicine but also other outpatient clinics) to help me understand all the aims of my school and become a well-rounded physician. Furthermore, I will be exposed to an underserved population--the population that cannot afford medical insurance, homelessness, mentally ill, etc. In Tucson, I will be around a huge Spanish-speaking population (move over Thai, here comes language #3--if I am successful).


Being in a CHC is going to help me gain knowledge by being hands-on. It is the best way I learn. It is the exact reason I got a job in a clinic and not in a research lab. During my interview, this was one of the top reason I really wanted to be a part of A.T. Still. They estimate, that the 3rd year students in clinical rotations retain their information better than the average medical student. We've been told that students in their 3rd and 4th years are about a year ahead of their colleagues due to the early clinical exposure. I'll report back to let you know how I feel.


So, yes -- I am part of Team Tucson -- I made the cut to be in this elect group of 10. My other classmates are off to New York, South Carolina, Ohio, Alabama, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, and Hawaii. While some of those locations sound more enticing, the organization for the students in Tucson seems to fit me best. I am very excited to be there.


In other words, if you are wanting to visit us in the Phoenix area, you better come quick. Time is limited...


But, if you come to Tucson -- not only will you see us, you'll get to see Airplane Graveyards.



****Sorry for so much text. As most of you know, I am a picture-blog fan. This was too wordy.

3 comments:

mks said...

Tuscon huh? Congrats on making the elite team! Maybe we'll have to arrange to pick up my sister and visit you at the same time! I think that would make an excellent first trip for Baby S, don't you? (Just in case we don't make it to Gilbert before you move.)

Aubrey Claybrook said...

Wow Scott, I've never seen you write a post with so many words...but it was good! Glad you guys got the place you wanted....yay for Tucson! (not Tuacon...)

Chris and Jenn Roundy said...

Congrats you guys! That'll be a much easier move than all the way across the country. Plus, Tucson is only about 16 hours away from Houston! We'll practically be neighbors! hahaha!