We love learning random facts about Arizona.
Have you ever seen a Prickly Pear cactus?
Well, they grow rampant here in Tucson-in people's yards,
on the side of roads and out in the desert. Oh wait,
we live in that desert.
The red fruit on top of the cactus is actually edible!
We had a Prickly Pear Chicken sandwich back in Gilbert
and it was really good. (The chicken was marinated in the
juice of the prickly pear fruit)
The first RS activity I went to here in Tucson was learning
how to make prickly pear jelly. I was super pumped about it
because they were going to show us the steps beginning to end:
picking your own fruit--getting the juice out--and turning it into jelly.
The entire process was very involved, messy and takes approx. 2
days and 2 people. After the demonstration, I decided that it was too
much effort for the present time (I know...I made peach jam, but that took less than an hour).
Maybe next year? In all reality I have plenty of time since we'll be here for 3 years.
Maybe next year? In all reality I have plenty of time since we'll be here for 3 years.
Instead, we are all enjoying the jar of finished jelly they gifted to us.
Look at that gorgeous color! NO food coloring added. Wow.

1 comment:
Why does it say you posted this at 4 in the morning???
Post a Comment