30 March 2015

Gateway to the West

Well 4 years of med school is drawing near to the end and if you didn't already know, Scott has had a countdown to graduation on his phone for the last year probably?!?! Match Day was something we had anticipated for the last year as well... and the reason why Scott was gone on away rotations multiple times in 2014 was to hopefully secure a spot for residency in a program of his choice. To say we were anxious about March 2015 Match Day would be an understatement. We are ECSTATIC to share that Scott will be attending an Emergency Medicine residency at St Louis University for the next 3 years!!! It's quite a relief to know he will indeed be able to practice in the field that he loves. The last 4 years he's worked his tail off and I'm so proud of the next step he'll be taking.

We're extremely grateful to everyone's thoughts, prayers, and support in Scott's/our family's behalf and know that we couldn't have done it without you. So THANK YOU!! We also recognize that Heavenly Father knows us specifically and has blessed us immensely.

Since matching at SLU, I've been surprised at how many people have either lived there or know someone who lives there. Apparently it's a very family-friendly city with lots of fun things to do and also some free attractions including the zoo and other museums which will be wonderful!! We are also looking forward to be 4 hours away from Aub & Sam and of course the cousins can't wait to see each other and play--which will be so much fun too!

Everyone keeps asking how we are feeling about the move and this is how I want to respond (obviously not these exact feelings, but a handful of feelings simultaneously):
In a nutshell, it depends on the moment. We've been extremely blessed with dear friends in Tucson and love the weather here. The day we matched, our friends Alissa & Conner showed up with balloons, Martinelli's and our favorite gelato to say Congratulations. They were so, so thoughtful and are one of the million reasons that will make it bittersweet to leave. But, as one of my friends told me, "It's not goodbye, it's until we see you next time!"

This summer Team Calder will be making the "Gateway to the West" our new home. Come and visit us!

2 comments:

Aubrey Claybrook said...

So so so excited!!

Kelli said...

I am so happy for you guys. For real. Scott I know has worked so hard, but Marcelle, you've been a rock star through all of this! I'm so impressed with your skills at being a mom and making everything a party!! Hopefully I can be as cool as you are...someday...! I only wish you were moving to the great Pacific Northwest :). I'll be lobbying for jobs for Scott at my hospital and then we can work together! Good plan.