19 March 2008

Recipe

Roasted Sweet Potato with Curried Apples-

I found this recipe in a magazine and it is one of my new favorites. You should try it!

Makes: 6 cups
Total time: 2 hours (it is worth it and you can prepare the veggies the day before)
2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (3 0r 4)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
course salt and ground pepper
1 red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
2 jalapeno peppers, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced (I had to wear gloves when cutting these because the first time I did it, my hands were on fire the rest of the night!)
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
4 cups vegetable broth, homemade or canned (2 cans)
2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar (or whatever kind you have)
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 small tart apple, diced
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped mint, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 4oo degrees. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour, turning once, or until potatoes are very soft. When cool enough to handle, scoop cooked potatoes out of the skins. Discard the skins.
2. Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized, about 20 min. Add bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic; cook for 5 min. Add sweet potato and broth, stir. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for 20 minutes, until flavors have blended.
3. Working in batches, puree soup in a blender. Combine batches in a clean bowl. The soup should be thick. (If you prefer a thinner soup, add water or more broth). Taste and adjust seasoning.
4. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar, honey, and curry powder to a boil. Add apple; stir for 1 minute and remove from heat. To serve, ladle the soup into bowls, ad spoonful of apples, spoonful of yogurt and a sprinkle of mint.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds delicious, Marcelle! I think I'll try it one of these nights, especially if we have a storm. I love soups, but haven't made as many in the New Orleans heat.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you can get sweet potatoes cut like fries at Costco and it makes all these yummy recipes sooo much easier, I get so excited when I see them, plus I love sweet potato fries, so it's a bonus all the way around!