01 February 2009

The Monkey

Once upon a time in a not too distant land, there was a boy who was in search of love. This boy was me.

I wasn't one of those marriage-crazy RMs. I just wanted to find a normal girl to date -- maybe even kiss. To meet a wide variety of girls, I went to many of the typical BYU social events.

My dating counselor, Kimberly, would spend many hours with me analyzing my interactions with different girls. Because nicknames were more fun, we often created them. They were a way to make talking about dates more fun. Typically we created descriptive names for them. Some were harsh and others were funny.

Well, I went on an unusually great first date with a friend I met at EFY. She was way too cute for me. The first time Kimberly and I talked about her, Kimberly recognized her name from Friends she affectionately named her "Marcel the Monkey." Soon after that, we learned that she actually spelled her name Marcelle.

Well, the rest is history. We fell in love and are now married. I dropped the name "Marcelle the Monkey" because dating names are fun for dating, but not so much in marriage. I have created new nicknames for her, but that is not the purpose of this post.

Marcelle was called a monkey before I let her join the "Scott Calder Family" (which used to be a single person family). Well, we have a new monkey going to join our family. I affectionately gave him the nickname of "the monkey" because I was sick of not knowing how to refer to "Our Baby." Calling him "it" didn't feel right and neither did "The baby." The monkey currently resides in Marcelle's womb. He's been there for a while. That's right MARCELLE IS PREGNANT. We are expecting a boy! He is due on April 6, 2009.

This post is probably way overdue, but that's what happens when you don't have the internet at home and wait to announce until your wife is over 20 weeks pregnant. Sorry for those of you who didn't know. We'll do better with the blog -- when we get the internet in our apartment (sometime in the near future since we will be moving -- don't hold your breath -- hint hint Warburtons).

Here are some answers to the most common questions:

Q.When did you find out?
A. Awhile ago.

Q. Why did you wait to tell people?
A. Why not?

Q. Where is your baby going to be born?
A. At Mount Timpanogos Hospital.

Q. Do you have names picked out?
A. Yes we do. But, we're not disclosing them yet.

Q. Has Marcelle been sick?
A. Aren't all women sick during the first trimester? She was, but now she's big, blonde and beautiful -- except not blonde. Just pregnant.

Q. Were you planning this?
A. Did we get married? Then yes.



We are excited for our little monkey. We'll for sure post again -- maybe even when he's born!

4 comments:

Aubrey Claybrook said...

Great writing skills Scottie. I still think you should name him Junior. Go team.

Seth and Brittney said...

I hope he looks like that picture... then I would be happy to babysit lots!
Glad I now know what to call that protrusion from Marcelle's abdomen! ;) Congrats again guys!
-Brittney

meagan said...

April 6th is a great day to be born. And being born a monkey would be even cooler...

Kelli said...

Um, you didn't tell me he was being born at Timp!! That's exciting, I used to work there :). And if I was still working there, I could have been your nurse. Haha, good story, right? Well, congrats y'all. I can't wait to see pictures! And I'll be visiting no later than June, so I'll see you then!