For the past year our friends Chris & Tiffany Nelson who live up the street from us have been taking the discussions/lessons from the missionaries. They've lived in the same house for 8 years and have had LDS neighbors, friends and coworkers throughout the years. It's incredible how God truly does have a plan for everyone; Scott & I have loved being a part of their conversion to the gospel. Since we were already friends with Chris & Tiffany it was easy to attend the lessons and share our thoughts and testimonies.
I remember one time Tiffany asked me how many times I prayed each day. I started naming off a list: morning/evening personal, family, meals...etc but then of course there are hundreds of prayers I say daily in my heart that are short and simple. Their questions made me think and self assess more of the why and how I live the gospel.
Last month in the beginning of October we were at a good-bye open house for some other good friends (the Child family) who were moving to the Netherlands...and Tiffany leaned over to tell me they had committed to baptism!!!! We were ecstatic and SO happy for them.
Then, this past weekend Chris & Tiffany were baptized!!! They were baptized by Elder Ta'ofi who previously served in our ward for 6 months (he's from Australia and one of our favorite missionaries). He has since moved to a new area and had permission to come baptize them. It was so fun to see him again. Our ward is blessed to have a set of missionaries all to ourselves and we've had them over as much as we can.
There were so many people at the Nelsons' baptism to support them--people even flew from out-of-state to come and lots of happy tears were shed. In exactly a year, their darling twins will turn 8 and Chris will get to baptize them. We couldn't be happier!!!
-----
Growing up I always thought I'd serve a mission because my mom did, my grandmas did, and others who influenced me. But when the time came, it didn't feel right and I decided that President David O. McKay had my back because "every member a missionary." That's the response I've always given when people ask me if I served a mission.
These scriptures came to mind this weekend. As a side note, I'm obsessed with exclamation marks and how cool is it that these scriptures have exclamation marks!!!
Doctrine & Covenants 18:15-16
15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!
It was crazy at the baptism with a ton of people, so I snapped a picture of Tiff and I last night at our RS holiday dinner.
Family picture courtesy of yours truly
The Nelsons partied with us on the 4th of July for dinner and fireworks. I'm tearing up just thinking about the last year's journey and where they're at today. Love these guys!!


No comments:
Post a Comment